Coalition of Communist Crusaders for the Proletariat
July 25, 2017, 04:31:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Task Forces run regularly! Check the forums for details!

Home   Help Search Login Register CCCP Homepage  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Travel Powers  (Read 7790 times)
simonsimple

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 02:24:17 PM »

((Well, I am all about superjump

My primary Red Crosse started with teleport..

teleport rocks, used it a lot to save myself as I am a primary healer...but i found the travel aspect sucked.  Sucked End, pretty much required either hover or time reduc to even make it worth while.  The main issue I felt was that it just didn't make any sense to TP 100yards..then either reTP or fall.  I know I could have used it on the ground but I wasn't going much faster then superspeed and everything could still attack me.

so i used my mission earned respec and switched to flight.  This rocked as was the most fun I had...BUT i found that it didn't allow me to remove myself from trouble very fast as it was as slow as hover in combat.  Being an all soft def I got a window of like 2-10seconds to get away from whatever is on me (because we know my one combat attack isn't going to drop them).  So after long thought I decided that I would return to superjump (which is red crosse's primary travel power on anoher server)

Blew my vet respec and did super jump...but, did a little research and decided to go to the max.  I took superjump (filled all slots with cyberlegs), hurdle (again cyberlegs) and my sprint (used a cyberleg in there).  Turns on real fast so it is perfect for those needed escapes, the forward speed is far greater then flight and superspeed.  I have found that if i switch to first person mode as I travel I can land on just about anything as level 30 i can jump roughly 200 meters in about 5seconds with a height that allows me to pass over most trouble.  Unlike TP I can fall from my max jump height and take no damage and even jumpig off a building and landing only causes a max of 200-250 points of damage (i suspect the jump reduces damage when i would fall half that height from a faild TP jump I would take almost 500-600 points of damage)  The best part is when coming in for a landing most mobs won't even get around to attacking until i have lifted off again removing the chances of even being hit.

Again, while this is all from a def's point of view I could see how this travel power woould help many.

So here is my ranking from best to worst

superjump
flight
superspeed
tp

hope this helps someone

Aethon
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 02:44:51 PM »

(i suspect the jump reduces damage when i would fall half that height from a faild TP jump I would take almost 500-600 points of damage)

Just thought I'd confirm that SJ does allow you to fall further without taking damage. However...

The best part is when coming in for a landing most mobs won't even get around to attacking until i have lifted off again removing the chances of even being hit.

You do want to be careful about this. Mobs can get an attack in on you and if they tag you with a Hold you'll, generally speaking, be in mid-air when it take effect. I've died a couple of times this way, mainly from a combination of the damage from the fall and landing in the middle of another bunch of mobs. (Admittedly, this was when bouncing around the higher level zones.)

Krasnaya Zvezda
Warshade
Zarya
Officers

Resident Cynic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »

We've always been the teleport-y sort of people.

Sofia Rabinovich - Weilder of the Big Authority Stick
Thanh Ha
Chief Medical Officer
Administrator

im in ur tray, eetn ur blus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 11:43:53 PM »

Teleport only seems to work for me when I have a good vidcard and lots of RAM.  As it stands right now, my porters are taking a back burner until I can get a new card.

I tend towards SJ, because it's both fast and provides good vertical movement.

-=-=-=-=-
RPC Webmaster - @435
-=-=-=-=-
Dr. Truong Thanh Ha, aka Social Medicine
Commissar, CCCP - Sec. Lvl. 50 / 6
-=-=-=-=-
Valeriya Ustimov, aka Reabilitatsiya
Tovarisch, CCCP - Sec. Lvl. 9
-=-=-=-=-
Michael West, aka Kuo
Token Capitalist, AoC - Sec. Lvl. 50
-=-=-=-=-
And m
Gato Rojo
Queen of All Convulsive Posters

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 09:34:39 AM »

SJ always got Mosca killed faster than anything - probably because I'm such a poor player and was always getting into zones I didn't belong in, loosing my mentor by hopping around and falling off COT platforms into the waiting maw of a behemoth. Plus, it gives me the vertigo heaves.

I imagine I would have stuck with Teleport for Gato had I ever figured out the binds... and didn't kill her off. However again, because am such a poor player it was difficult to do a good vert tp into PVP battles on top of platforms.

I'm a flight girl these days... (self wish fulfillment? Take that stupid reoccurring dreams where I can only get 2 feet of the ground and keep almost falling!!!) .....though I may respec Little Yoshimi into SJ as flight doesn't really make much sense for an otherwise normal little girl who just happens to be able to kick robot ass.
belladonnaaura
Commissar

Don't turn around, der Commissar's in town

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 12:50:15 PM »

I find SS is a pain in the butt without the little junior jumpjet prestige power that came with the Good v Evil code.  But a way around that is to get someone who has the first or second pre-level 10 bank mission to let them come in and nuke it for you.  You get either a Raptor pack (flight) or a Zero-G pack (full boat jumpjet).  By using these judiciously you can keep them going for a long, long time.  Ditto the Xmas jingle jet.

Personally I am all about flight, and I 3-slot hover as soon as I can afford to.  Great knockback protection and some -to hit as well.  Sera and Drakenaur are both flying fire tanks, and we are able to keep and hold aggro, getting the AVs to chase us all over the map while the team whittles away at them, in a way you couldn't do with either SS (which has a component of stealth, so the AV loses the aggro) or SJ. 

As for TP, I have the Kheldians with keybinds on them, and a couple of my villains, and it does get you there faster, but it sucks End HORRIBLY and if you have lag....

My preference:

Flight
SJ
SS
TP

Your friendly neighborhood all-purpose radioactive offender
Aethon
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 01:42:41 PM »

SS is a pain without some for of vertical movement, even hurdle helps somewhat. Still, it is a nice travel power and if I have the spare power-choice then I will take it. Aside: I've a Fire/Fire tank and he uses Fly and SS in equal amounts. Nothing is better than being able to get to where you are needed really, really fast - great for taking a side trip to sell or getting to people in the event of an ambush.

SJ is actually my least favourite travel jump, mainly because it requires constant care and attention - I can't type, slot enhancements or go afk for drinks etc whilst travelling between missions. (Whilst the same could be argued for TP, the fact that you have to stop and recover End, long journey,  or you get there very quickly, short journey, generally menas you have some time to do 'stuff'.) One thing you can't deny about SJ though, bouncing around a map can be a heap of fun.

The main thing about TP is that it's fast. Yes it chews end but 2 End Redux SO's make it very usable and it is fast and a good 'Get me away from here' power. I've tried the shift+lclick bind and it didn't work too well for me, I prefer to use alt+x as the key combo.

And last but not least, Flight. Ah, Flight...

The first experience I had of CoH (once I'd got past the hours of fun spent playing with the Character creator) was logging into Atlas Park as a level one character. Miss Liberty was just in front of me, along with some heroes talking to her, The Statue of Atlas dominated the background and coming down, out of the sky, was a dot that changed into a Hero who swooped down towards me and, climbing ever so slightly, buzzed straight over me. And that was that, I was hooked. The first time I actually got Fly... well, I think I spent the next 30 minutes flying around, enjoying myself far to much to even think about missions.

Don't think I really need to say anything more about Fly really, I still enjoy spending spare time in game flying around and watching the sun rise/set over the skyline.

Krasnaya Zvezda
Warshade
Zakat
Mad Scientist

Nothing to see here. Move along.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 11:51:41 AM »

As Zarya said, I usually wind up taking teleport. Everybody decries its endurance cost, which is high compared to the others (because it's a click and not a toggle), but really isn't that big of a deal. It is, bar none, the fastest travel power of them all, especially once it's got slottage (given ED and the fact that all other methods of travel have a cap). And if you want extra super travel speed, you get your hands on Boost Range (energy manipulation blasters only) to stack with it. To top it all off it allows you to move around when immobilized or trapped in a slow field (like caltrops or ice slick), and is the only surefire way to avoid Teleport Foe in PvP (unless you're Energy Aura or Electricity Aura).

Throw in Recall Friend, and not only can you get across Independence Port before anyone else is halfway across, but you can start bringing other people along.

Alas, Team Teleport, is teh suck. Unless you're a Mastermind, it's pretty much worthless, and you're better off teleporting by yourself and using Recall Friend.

Of course, it has the drawback of having to worry about lag and so forth, but I know that a lot of people who do have that problem just pick up Hover to keep them from falling. I'm generally fine with Zakat, and anybody who has teamed with him can vouch for his speed across zones. And he doesn't even have Stamina to offset its end cost.

As for the rest, I like Super Jump pool because of Combat Jumping's excellent unsuppressed speed and Acrobatics + Combat Jumping giving good mez protection/resistance; and the fact that it has great speed as well. It stacks very nicely with Hurdle (which, for some reason or another, gives you a faster jump speed than Swift does run speed).

Fly is really slow, far slower than I'm used to (1-slotted Fly goes 1/3(!) the speed of 1-Range SO'd TP). But it is really good for getting around missions and hunting glowies. Hover is, um, some minor defense (less than 2%, the same as Combat Jumping) and good mobility with next to no speed. It is actually rather disappointing in my eyes and the only reason I don't swap it for Air Superiority (which is a great attack power) on Abyssal Flame is for RP reasons. And because Fly costs way too much endurance to use in Combat (5 times the cost of hover, 2.5 times the cost of super jump, and almost 15 times the cost of combat jumping). Group Fly, like Group Teleport is entirely a for-show power that sees some use with masterminds.

Super Speed... Is probably my least favorite. No vertical movement is far too much a problem. Zakat used to be a super speeder, and was my only one, but respeced out of it into teleport. I never looked back. Hasten is nice, really nice, but after all the nerfage, not nearly the badass power it used to be. Flurry is worthless, and Whirlwind very specialized.

My ranking is probably as listed above:
TP
SJ
Fly
SS

As an alternative, I have seen some pretty fast non-travel power speeds. Unslotted Hurdle alone gives roughly the same speed as Fly (all unslotted), and with Unslotted Sprint and Unslotted Combat Jumping, gives the same as 1-slotted Fly. And that's all unsuppressed.

Pinnacle, ex-CCCP, now JTF:
Krasniy Zakat - Level 50 Mutation Blaster, Mad Scientist

Protector:
Krasniy Zakat - Level 30 Science Blaster, Mad Scientist
Thanh Ha
Chief Medical Officer
Administrator

im in ur tray, eetn ur blus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »

As an alternative, I have seen some pretty fast non-travel power speeds. Unslotted Hurdle alone gives roughly the same speed as Fly (all unslotted), and with Unslotted Sprint and Unslotted Combat Jumping, gives the same as 1-slotted Fly. And that's all unsuppressed.

Kuo is a testament to the power of travel sans travel.  Being an /SR scrapper has it's benefits.

Sprint (3xRun), Swift (3xRun), Hurdle (1xJump), Quickness (3xRun) = One fast mofo.  He tends to outrun SJers.  If I pop Elude, he tends to outrun 1-slotted SSers.  If someone (god forbid) were to Speed Boost him, he hits the cap, and could likely come close to outrunning TPers.  I haven't tried outrunning TPers yet.

-=-=-=-=-
RPC Webmaster - @435
-=-=-=-=-
Dr. Truong Thanh Ha, aka Social Medicine
Commissar, CCCP - Sec. Lvl. 50 / 6
-=-=-=-=-
Valeriya Ustimov, aka Reabilitatsiya
Tovarisch, CCCP - Sec. Lvl. 9
-=-=-=-=-
Michael West, aka Kuo
Token Capitalist, AoC - Sec. Lvl. 50
-=-=-=-=-
And m
Aethon
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »

Really must try making a character without a travel power. ::adds this idea to the ever growing list characters to try::

I haven't tried outrunning TPers yet.

Reminds me of the time in beta when a Speedster had a foot race against the Dev's in Skyway. The Dev's won, of course (cheating), but given the speed they were going it was a good thing they didn't have to make any corners.

Krasnaya Zvezda
Warshade
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: